It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:14 pm 

Hi,

I am attempting to install BeGraphic Lite x64 on Win7/Office2010 x64 running Avast! antivirus. I downloaded it from the link emailed to me from BeGraphic.
Right after the prerequisite check, Avast halts the process stating the file "BeGraphicSetup.exe" is "potentially unsafe" for the reason "The file prevalence/reputation is low".
I then submitted BeGraphicSetup.exe to virustotal.com, and it returned a positive for "Trojan/Menti.sxm" as detected by "Jiangmin". I did note that it was only detected by 1/43 of the antivirus companies represented on virustotal.com.
Nonetheless, the combination of the warning from Avast! antivirus and subsequent positive from virustotal has me concerned.
Can someone please address this?

Thanks.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Dear BeGraphic user,

We have enough work to do before thinking about annoying our users.
We don't even know how to make a potential malware.

We are serious people. Our Manager is known (at least on the European Dataviz market):
Here is his resume http://fr.linkedin.com/in/claudehenrimeledo
He is one of the co-founders of the non-profit organization focused on Professional Data Visualization: http://www.visualdecision.fr/
(By the way this organization is sponsored by the French Ministry of Research).

So if there is only 1 antivirus company among 43 that says there might be a potential threat,
I think the 42 other anti-virus companies are right: BeGraphic is 100% safe.

Note: by the way, Avast says that installing an EXE could interact with the Operating System
... because obviously an EXE file is installing a real software - No doubt about that ;-)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:56 pm 

BeGraphic Team wrote:
So if there is only 1 antivirus company among 43 that says there might be a potential threat,
I think the 42 other anti-virus companies are right: BeGraphic is 100% safe.

Note: by the way, Avast says that installing an EXE could interact with the Operating System
... because obviously an EXE file is installing a real software - No doubt about that ;-)
Dear BeGraphic Team,

Thank you for your reply, and please don't take it personally.
The fact that Avast! halted the installation was what prompted me to submit it to VirusTotal.com for further testing.
Avast! did not warn about your program interacting with the operating system; it said that it was potentially unsafe.
Avast! does not give generic warnings when installing programs.
I was relieved that only 1 of 43 had deemed your EXEcutable potentially infected, but that one along with Avast! makes two, and nowadays you can never be too safe! ;)
I had an older installation of BeGraphic installed, but received an error message stating that I had to re-register and download again (?), otherwise I would have never encountered this problem.

Thank you again for your assurance that your program is virus-free, and I really do enjoy using it.
It's a very useful tool!